Friday, January 25, 2008

Mitt, Mitt, He's our man....




So if any of you watched the debates last night, you know how great Mitt did. I reall think that this was one of his best debates. the gave his so much talking time compared to everyone else. It was pretty amazing when Tim Russert asked him three or four questions in a row. He gave really good answers, too. The latest polls have him ahead in Florida! Yeah! My family is down in Florida now working hard to build up the support. It is so exciting.

There has been some crazy stuff going on down in Florida with the church, though. I guess a bunch of the stake presidents bishops told their wards that they are NOT to e involved in this political campaign in any way. If they got involved they would be released from their callings. So, when my Dad got down there months ago to start rallying support, he initially began with the church because that is where he knew people and knew that he could gain supporters. Well, when he started hearing this and realizing that nobody was helping, he got really upset. That is against every policy the church has ever put out. The church has always said that they do not endorse any candidate, but we are encouraged to be involved in politics and support candidates who we believe in. My Dad's former mission president is inthe quorum of the 70 and he went to him with what has been going on. They have sent letters to the leaders in Florida telling them that this is wrong and that the people are welcome to be involved in any campaign they want to. They went so far as to say that if Pres. Hinckley so desired, he could knock on doors and pass out flyers for Barack Obama. I just can't believe that this has happened. My dad has had a tough time down there, needless to say.

You know this whole process has really taught me so much about how important it is to be involved in politics. Not only to vote, but to know beforehand who the candidates are and what they stand for. I have really been ignorant on these things up until now. I am realizing that it matters. My vote can make a difference. My opinion does matter and can influence others. We are so lucky to live in a country where we are free to vote and free to express our opinions. I have really taken that for granted up until now. I cannot believe how many people don't vote.

Only 4 days until the Florida Primary!!
11 Days until Super Tuesday--Be sure to vote (no matter who it is for, Stew)

5 comments:

Hayley said...

karyn, i love how you're connected & supportive. i struggle with my views, as a teacher - i think i tend to be more democratic (ahh!??) i hope we can still be friends. but i'm excited & hope that mitt makes it. it would be wonderful to have an LDS president.

Kelley Flint said...

Yea, I found your blog. Just wanted to let you know that I'm helping with the petitions to get Mitt on the primary ballot for Pennsylvania. Hope you're doing great and you're having a great birthday week.
Kelley (Robins) Flint

Brittany said...

Hey Karyn, I am so glad you have started a blog. I love keeping up on my friends life. I really need to get a blog going. I think things have been so exciting with Mitt running. I think he would be fantastic fiscally. And I like his ideas for healthcare. I wish Oregon had our primary before May!!

Hayley said...

is brittany k by any chance brittany kohler? oh my gosh!

dastew said...

Ha. I'll do that, I'm at least involved not like my wife who's an "independent" :)

I do hate the two party system though.