Saturday, November 8, 2008

Protesting the Democratic Process


Proposition 8 has caused such a huge stir against my church. It's been difficult to watch all the protesting against my beliefs. They have been rallying in front of temples & church buildings in California because the members of our church decided to get out & make their voices heard & be a part of the democratic process. Here's an interesting video on YouTube about it all.

My cousin, Rachel lives in San Diego & has some interesing posts on her blog about it all. (holding signs, getting her car keyed because of her bumper sticker for Prop 8, etc.)

Here's an interesting article about the head of the Sacramento Catholic Diocese supporting the Mormon's fight for Prop 8.

Last night there was a big rally in Salt Lake. They were again protesting the stand the Church took on Prop. 8. I don't really understand the point of these rallies. It's not as if they will change our beliefs. Here's the article in the Deseret News this morning, & a video of some of the protests last night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i52JL5_N-XE

I know everyone has a right to an opinion. That's why we vote. The votes were cast & they lost. So they need to accept that their state voted to ban gay marriages. It was not the Mormons who decided this. It was more than half of their state. I don't like feeling singled out & targeted because of my beliefs.

(It hurts my heart.)

12 comments:

kidsmom said...

I wonder if many of these people are not inactive or excommunicated members fighting back against the church who they feel are discriminating against them. It hurts my heart too because I respect them and their view but cannot accept their lifestyle as normal and God inspired but we are not getting that same level of tolerance and acceptance for our point of view ad religious beliefs. Seems hypocritical to me. These are definitely the last days.

Jennie said...

I agree completely! It is something I will never understand and it is completely heart breaking! Especially just to see where this country is leading...and not just government but the actual people! It is just more evidence that we are getting closer to the second coming, which means there is only more prosecution to come!

Krystyna said...

Amen. It's not like 52% of the population of California is Mormon! The people voted, and Proposition 8 passed. If they want to take it to court and have a judge repeal it, then they are rejecting democracy. I voted for John McCain but he lost... am I protesting democracy and the millions of people who didn't vote for him? No, because I know that's how this nation works. The people voted and the issue should be put to bed. It's so frustrating!

Emily said...

Thank you. I loved your post and have sent the article on to family.

Ashleigh said...

I am disgusted with what I've heard, but I refuse to watch anything about it because it's hurts my heart as well. I feel like they have a right to protest whatever they want, it's just sad that they are confused on the subject and are taking it out on our "The Mormons". Oh well! I still know the church is true and don't give a rip what they say!

Michal Thompson said...

How has our wold become to hypocritical?

Tovi said...

Thanks Karyn! I totally agree with you! Did you see this video?
youtube. com/watch?v=Uv72urCWJcU
I felt a little better after watching it.

Tollestrup Family said...

Thanks for all your posts - we need all the prayers we can get! Notice that the "landslide" popular vote for Obama was the exact same spread as the "close call" for Yes on 8...gotta love the media! Also 70-80% of the black vote went to yes on 8. Far more than the Mormons. And there wouldn't have been so many blacks voting if Barak hadn't been running. So, ironically enough, yes on 8 won because of Barak Obama!!!

misha~sha-sha said...

Great post. It hurts my heart, too. My current facebook "Misha is" says Misha is not okay with the fact that being conservative seems to be synonymous with being intolerant. That has always bothered me but it is REALLY bothering me lately!

Michal Thompson said...

What photo editing program do you use?

Michal Thompson said...

okay, so I did that but then what about the "original Title? See My picture with text on top is a "background" for my header. How do you get around that?

Kristi said...

It is tough right now to be a Mormon in California. Did you see the lovely commercial with the missionaries? It is so infuriating, but what can we do? I am nervous for Cate to tell people she is Mormon or talk about yes on 8, sad times.